Two of the firefighters arrived on a fire engine and two in their own vehicles, Pickering said. After Spengler fired, one of the wounded men fled, but the other three couldn't because of flying gunfire.
The police officer who exchanged gunfire with Spengler "in all likelihood saved many lives," Pickering said.
The dead men were identified as police Lt. Michael Chiapperini, 43, the Webster Police Department's public information officer; and 19-year-old Tomasz Kaczowka, also a 911 dispatcher.
Pickering described Chiapperini as a "lifetime firefighter" with nearly 20 years in the department, and he called Kaczowka a "tremendous young man."
The two wounded firefighters, Joseph Hofstetter and Theodore Scardino, were in stable condition Tuesday at Strong Memorial Hospital, the chief said. Both were awake and alert and are expected to recover.
Hofstetter, also a full-timer with the Rochester Fire Department, was hit once in the pelvis, and the bullet lodged in his spine, authorities said. Scardino was hit in the chest and knee.
The shooting and fires were in a neighborhood of seasonal and year-round homes set close together across the road from the lakeshore. The area is popular with recreational boaters but is normally quiet this time of year.
Associated Press writer Mary Esch in Albany contributed to this report.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs and...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Central African Republic mobs launch ethnic...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 109
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 79
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 32
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 30
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16