Tom Smart, Deseret News
Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez told reporters last week that he interviewed three candidates for the football job, but only offered it to Utah State's Gary Andersen.
"It was such a great fit," Alvarez said. "It was like he was in my head."
Isn't that exactly what many Badger fans were asking after Alvarez hired a little-known coach from USU — what was in his head?
IN THE PINK
After winning a $200 million Powerball Lottery, an Iowa couple has agreed to finance a new high school football stadium in their area, on one condition: the visitor's locker room be painted pink.
Sources say school officials agreed, but have struggled to convince Nicki Minaj it's not her dressing room.
Prep basketball star Jabari Parker verbally committed to playing basketball at Duke last week, squashing the hopes of BYU fans.
Cougar coaches say they sensed he was going to Duke when he ordered the Baked Krzyzewski at his recruiting dinner.
Philadelphia 76ers coach Doug Collins ended up in hot water last week, despite taking the high road.
With the Sixers up 99-80 and 24 seconds remaining, Collins ordered his team to run out the clock. But a team promotion had promised a free Big Mac to everyone in attendance if the team scored 100 points.
Collins reportedly said he'd pay for the burgers.
That means he could be buying 18,000 Big Macs, otherwise known as lunch for the Baltimore Ravens.
Can't get enough of the Cougars? You're not alone.
Commonconsesus.org polled fans nationwide as to their favorite teams. BYU came out No. 1 in Utah, but also No. 2 in Tempe, No. 3 in Tucson and the Pacific Northwest, No. 4 in Los Angeles, No. 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth and San Diego, No. 6 in the Bay Area, No. 9 in Houston and No. 10 in Lexington, Ky.
ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad credits LDS faithful for BYU's widespread popularity.
Which means two things to Rock On. First, there are a lot of Mormons out there. Second, they're embracing the LDS doctrine of forgiveness, including the play call that ended Taysom Hill's season.
Last week's Poinsettia Bowl ended with the announcement that longtime BYU assistant coach Lance Reynolds was retiring.
Yes, you could call it a Reynolds wrap.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: therockmonster, Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29