Tom Smart, Deseret News
Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez told reporters last week that he interviewed three candidates for the football job, but only offered it to Utah State's Gary Andersen.
"It was such a great fit," Alvarez said. "It was like he was in my head."
Isn't that exactly what many Badger fans were asking after Alvarez hired a little-known coach from USU — what was in his head?
IN THE PINK
After winning a $200 million Powerball Lottery, an Iowa couple has agreed to finance a new high school football stadium in their area, on one condition: the visitor's locker room be painted pink.
Sources say school officials agreed, but have struggled to convince Nicki Minaj it's not her dressing room.
Prep basketball star Jabari Parker verbally committed to playing basketball at Duke last week, squashing the hopes of BYU fans.
Cougar coaches say they sensed he was going to Duke when he ordered the Baked Krzyzewski at his recruiting dinner.
Philadelphia 76ers coach Doug Collins ended up in hot water last week, despite taking the high road.
With the Sixers up 99-80 and 24 seconds remaining, Collins ordered his team to run out the clock. But a team promotion had promised a free Big Mac to everyone in attendance if the team scored 100 points.
Collins reportedly said he'd pay for the burgers.
That means he could be buying 18,000 Big Macs, otherwise known as lunch for the Baltimore Ravens.
Can't get enough of the Cougars? You're not alone.
Commonconsesus.org polled fans nationwide as to their favorite teams. BYU came out No. 1 in Utah, but also No. 2 in Tempe, No. 3 in Tucson and the Pacific Northwest, No. 4 in Los Angeles, No. 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth and San Diego, No. 6 in the Bay Area, No. 9 in Houston and No. 10 in Lexington, Ky.
ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad credits LDS faithful for BYU's widespread popularity.
Which means two things to Rock On. First, there are a lot of Mormons out there. Second, they're embracing the LDS doctrine of forgiveness, including the play call that ended Taysom Hill's season.
Last week's Poinsettia Bowl ended with the announcement that longtime BYU assistant coach Lance Reynolds was retiring.
Yes, you could call it a Reynolds wrap.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: therockmonster, Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8