NORAD's Santa trackers show old Saint Nick zooming across the world
"How much to adopt one of Santa's reindeer?"
INTERNATIONAL FLAVOR: NORAD got calls from 220 countries and territories last year, and non-English-speakers called this year as well.
Volunteers who speak other languages get green Santa hats and a placard listing their languages so organizers can find them quickly.
"Need a Spanish speaker!" one organizer called as he rushed out of one of three phone rooms.
HE KNOWS WHEN YOU'RE AWAKE: At NORAD's suggestion, volunteers often tell callers that Santa won't drop off the presents until all the kids in the home are asleep.
"Ohhhhhhh," said an 8-year-old from Illinois, as if trying to digest a brand-new fact.
"I'm going to be asleep by 4 o'clock," said a child from Virginia.
"Thank you so much for that information," said a grateful mom from Michigan.
CHRISTMAS EVE IN AFGHANISTAN: Five U.S. service personnel answered calls from Afghanistan for about 90 minutes through a conferencing hookup.
"They had a great time," said Novobilski, the program spokeswoman.
NORAD wanted to set up a call center in Afghanistan but that proved too complex, she said.
HEY, MR. ELF: "Mr. Elf," said one caller, "This is Adam, and I've been really good this year."
FOR GEARHEADS: For people who want to know the specs of Santa's sleigh, NORAD offers a trove of tidbits, including:
Weight at takeoff: 75,000 GD (gumdrops).
Propulsion: 9 RP (reindeer power).
Fuel: Hay, oats and carrots (for reindeer).
Track Santa online at http://www.noradsanta.org/
Follow Dan Elliott at http://twitter.com/DanElliottAP
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket ban...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten Commandments...
- Judge says she did not involuntarily commit...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 97
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 68
- 2016 Republicans use Trump, TV to make... 26
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 26
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Religious groups react to Boy... 24
- Theater gunman built reputation as an... 23
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 22