Raising taxes on the wealthy will not produce more revenue. The very rich will just lobby for more deductions that benefit them while finding more loopholes to avoid paying taxes.
Our tax laws are so complicated because of the undue influence of the very rich who buy the laws with lobbyists that benefit them.
You raise tax rates on the wealthy, but with the special interest deductions and loopholes still in place, they will still not be paying more — and may even be paying less.
What we need to do is stop spending.
Salt Lake City
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- My view: TPA trade agreement counts as...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies undertaken...
- Letter: Land for the young people
- Letter: Sovereign flag
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: 7 inconsistencies...
- In our opinion: After court's marriage...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 59
- Letter: Sovereign flag 44
- In our opinion: After court's marriage... 42
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: 7... 38
- In our opinion: In wake of ACA ruling,... 29
- George F. Will: Chief Justice John... 22
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 21
- Sistas in Zion: Reaction to racial... 18