Raising taxes on the wealthy will not produce more revenue. The very rich will just lobby for more deductions that benefit them while finding more loopholes to avoid paying taxes.
Our tax laws are so complicated because of the undue influence of the very rich who buy the laws with lobbyists that benefit them.
You raise tax rates on the wealthy, but with the special interest deductions and loopholes still in place, they will still not be paying more — and may even be paying less.
What we need to do is stop spending.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Letter: Welfare reform
- Legitimate, productive businesses are...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Becoming mentally...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 80
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 54
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising... 53
- Capitalism and the common good:... 45
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Federal contracting... 36