Raising taxes on the wealthy will not produce more revenue. The very rich will just lobby for more deductions that benefit them while finding more loopholes to avoid paying taxes.
Our tax laws are so complicated because of the undue influence of the very rich who buy the laws with lobbyists that benefit them.
You raise tax rates on the wealthy, but with the special interest deductions and loopholes still in place, they will still not be paying more — and may even be paying less.
What we need to do is stop spending.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Letter: Pay for your share
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will save lives
- Drew Clark: What President Obama does well:...
- In our opinion: Parents reading to young...
- Letter: Repeating past mistakes
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26