Raising taxes on the wealthy will not produce more revenue. The very rich will just lobby for more deductions that benefit them while finding more loopholes to avoid paying taxes.
Our tax laws are so complicated because of the undue influence of the very rich who buy the laws with lobbyists that benefit them.
You raise tax rates on the wealthy, but with the special interest deductions and loopholes still in place, they will still not be paying more — and may even be paying less.
What we need to do is stop spending.
Salt Lake City
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 39
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 28
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 22