The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 51
- Is it time for our first woman president? 36
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from... 20
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- Letter: Leave public land alone 14
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 13