The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- President should not act without...
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- Richard Davis: Mandela's greatest achievement...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 61
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 39
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 29
- President should not act without... 24
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 24