The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- Letter: Act with love, not fear
- In our opinion: Utah is abundantly richer for...
- Derek B. Miller: Stop playing politics with...
- Michael Gerson: The Trump effect on the GOP...
- My view: Bring back the blacksmith: A case...
- Doug Robinson: The Iron Lady of Utah
- Letter: Board member resignation
- Letter: The truly needy