The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32