The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 102
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 81
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 62
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 35