The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- In our opinion: Utah's caucus system needs...
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an assault on...
- Michael Gerson: Common Core standards are not...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- Letters: Move to the center
- Letters: No welfare, ever 77
- Letters: Move to the center 36
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 32
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 29
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 28
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 27
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21