The news of the deaths in Connecticut are devastating. But when schools were referred to as soft targets, I was mortified.
Schools are soft targets because no guns are allowed on campuses. We should add a security endorsement option to teachers, requiring satisfactory completion of security training and the holding of a concealed carry permit. A number of teachers could have extra duty as a security officer added to their contract, with extra pay.
Even if every third teacher was security endorsed, that would be helpful. Our school children would no longer be considered soft targets. They would be less likely to be a target at all.
Let's take our children out of the crosshairs.
Salt Lake City
- My view: The most famous person born in Utah
- In our opinion: Because higher education...
- Michael Gerson: Conservative success and the...
- David Blankenhorn: Legalizing casinos: Jobs...
- Letter: Going back
- Taxpayers are big winners in TARP
- Reader Voices: An argument for the existence...
- Letter: Spreading energy