Those who claim the Second Amendment is no longer needed fail History 101. The "right to bear arms" was not intended to protect the government; it was to protect the people from the government. And the Founding Fathers greatly feared the very standing army that some argue is now in place to protect us.
Even if the Second Amendment is about hunting, semi-automatic firearms have very legitimate sporting uses.
It is my hope that any legislation to come out of the recent tragedies are not based on hysteria and ignorance, but on fact — like the fact that the Clinton "assault weapons" ban did not lower crime. Unfortunately, I know better.
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 56
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 29
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 26
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Letter: Idle elimination 19
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 19