Those who claim the Second Amendment is no longer needed fail History 101. The "right to bear arms" was not intended to protect the government; it was to protect the people from the government. And the Founding Fathers greatly feared the very standing army that some argue is now in place to protect us.
Even if the Second Amendment is about hunting, semi-automatic firearms have very legitimate sporting uses.
It is my hope that any legislation to come out of the recent tragedies are not based on hysteria and ignorance, but on fact — like the fact that the Clinton "assault weapons" ban did not lower crime. Unfortunately, I know better.
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Top scandals and controversies of each US...
- Robert Bennett: With public trust waning,...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- About Utah: Without fanfare, the National...
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- Letters: No welfare, ever 54
- Letters: Deception and government 31
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- In our opinion: Reduce the legal... 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Letters: Paycheck Fairness Act 21
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 18