Those who claim the Second Amendment is no longer needed fail History 101. The "right to bear arms" was not intended to protect the government; it was to protect the people from the government. And the Founding Fathers greatly feared the very standing army that some argue is now in place to protect us.
Even if the Second Amendment is about hunting, semi-automatic firearms have very legitimate sporting uses.
It is my hope that any legislation to come out of the recent tragedies are not based on hysteria and ignorance, but on fact — like the fact that the Clinton "assault weapons" ban did not lower crime. Unfortunately, I know better.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- Letter: Dance dress code
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 87
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 64
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 36