Those who claim the Second Amendment is no longer needed fail History 101. The "right to bear arms" was not intended to protect the government; it was to protect the people from the government. And the Founding Fathers greatly feared the very standing army that some argue is now in place to protect us.
Even if the Second Amendment is about hunting, semi-automatic firearms have very legitimate sporting uses.
It is my hope that any legislation to come out of the recent tragedies are not based on hysteria and ignorance, but on fact — like the fact that the Clinton "assault weapons" ban did not lower crime. Unfortunately, I know better.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- In our opinion: Don't delay saving for...
- Letter: Where's Al Gore?
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Letter: American billionaires 38
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 34
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- President should not act without... 28