College basketball: Denver routs Southern Utah University Thunderbirds
DENVER — Royce O'Neale and Cam Griffin scored 12 points apiece to help Denver beat Southern Utah 72-47 Friday.
O'Neale was 5 of 7 from the field, while Griffin was 3 of 5 and had four rebounds. Chase Hallam scored 11 points, and Brett Olson and Nate Engesser scored 10 points apiece.
Southern Utah had a one point lead early in the first half, but Denver (4-6) led 40-20 at halftime and never looked back. The Pioneers shot 55 percent from the field for the game, while the T-birds shot 40.8 percent.
"Denver is a good basketball team, they came out and played hard on their home court," SUU Coach Nick Robinson noted. "... They did a nice job of talking, of doing all the little things that allowed their team to get a lead, sustain the lead and extend the lead."
Jackson Stevenett led the Thunderbirds (3-7) with 12 points. Jayson Cheesman added 10 points and six rebounds. Wade Collie had nine points, all from 3-point range.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15