Newtown native counters ugly reality with Tabernacle Choir beauty
Mormon choir leader finds hope, healing in the beauty of music
He was also touched and inspired by the announcement Lloyd Newell, the "spoken word" part of "Music & the Spoken Word," made at the start of the evening's performance: "As we gather tonight in celebration of the Christmas season, we are profoundly saddened by the heartbreaking events this morning at Sandy Hook Element School in Newtown, Conn. We grieve with all those affected by this tragedy, and especially the families of the little children. In this hour of great sorrow, we pray the spirit of our Father in Heaven will provide comfort and peace to all. We invite you now to join us in a moment of silence with all those who mourn tonight."
Buoyed and strengthened by the concentrated love and grief of more than 21,000 people, Murphy was able to join the choir and the other performers in bringing something wonderful into a world shattered by shock and horror.
"One of the great roles of the choir is to bring peace and hope through their music," he said. "For me, being there and being part of that concert was the start of the healing."
The choir will try to continue to promote healing from the tragedy in Connecticut by dedicating its Jan. 6 "Music & the Spoken Word" broadcast "to the memory of those taken from us too soon at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn."
"We have a special program of music that is hopeful and encouraging," Murphy said. "That's a great tone to set at the start of a new year, especially for those who are healing."
And who need to counteract ugliness with beauty.
Private funeral services for school shooting victim Emilie Parker begin at 10 a.m. at Rock Cliff Stake Center, 1000 Suncrest Drive (650 South), Ogden
A live broadcast of the funeral will be available for the community at Rock Cliff 6th Ward, 300 Gramercy Ave.
Community members are encouraged to line the funeral procession route from the Rock Cliff Stake Center on 7th Street, turning north on Monroe Avenue to Evergreen Memorial Park.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 31
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 20
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 16