A Mr. Larsen (Readers' Forum, Dec. 4) is a babe in the political woods.
He thinks the GOP has a chance of regaining leadership. They do: slim to none, and Slim is out of town. I was a part of the Chicago political machine and that clout system. It's down to a fine science there. Officials will lie, cheat, steal and bribe to stay in power.
This type has been in power in Chicago for 100-plus years. You simply can't beat that rigged game. As Bertrand Russell said, "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's co-operation." Patronage, favoritism and bribery will beat patriotism and love of country every time. We're in Chicago's America now, and it isn't going to be pretty.
Salt Lake City
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 50
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 10
- In our opinion: Legislators need to... 9