A Mr. Larsen (Readers' Forum, Dec. 4) is a babe in the political woods.
He thinks the GOP has a chance of regaining leadership. They do: slim to none, and Slim is out of town. I was a part of the Chicago political machine and that clout system. It's down to a fine science there. Officials will lie, cheat, steal and bribe to stay in power.
This type has been in power in Chicago for 100-plus years. You simply can't beat that rigged game. As Bertrand Russell said, "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's co-operation." Patronage, favoritism and bribery will beat patriotism and love of country every time. We're in Chicago's America now, and it isn't going to be pretty.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- In our opinion: EPA failed its protection...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- My view: European view of American soft power
- Letter: Stimulate the economy
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid with a...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 59
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship... 47
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 45
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 43
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 35
- Letter: Earning his votes 32
- Letter: Stimulate the economy 28