A Mr. Larsen (Readers' Forum, Dec. 4) is a babe in the political woods.
He thinks the GOP has a chance of regaining leadership. They do: slim to none, and Slim is out of town. I was a part of the Chicago political machine and that clout system. It's down to a fine science there. Officials will lie, cheat, steal and bribe to stay in power.
This type has been in power in Chicago for 100-plus years. You simply can't beat that rigged game. As Bertrand Russell said, "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's co-operation." Patronage, favoritism and bribery will beat patriotism and love of country every time. We're in Chicago's America now, and it isn't going to be pretty.
Salt Lake City
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 47
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 38
- Capitalism and the common good:... 37
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 36