A Mr. Larsen (Readers' Forum, Dec. 4) is a babe in the political woods.
He thinks the GOP has a chance of regaining leadership. They do: slim to none, and Slim is out of town. I was a part of the Chicago political machine and that clout system. It's down to a fine science there. Officials will lie, cheat, steal and bribe to stay in power.
This type has been in power in Chicago for 100-plus years. You simply can't beat that rigged game. As Bertrand Russell said, "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's co-operation." Patronage, favoritism and bribery will beat patriotism and love of country every time. We're in Chicago's America now, and it isn't going to be pretty.
Salt Lake City
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 42
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 42
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local... 28
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are... 21