A Mr. Larsen (Readers' Forum, Dec. 4) is a babe in the political woods.
He thinks the GOP has a chance of regaining leadership. They do: slim to none, and Slim is out of town. I was a part of the Chicago political machine and that clout system. It's down to a fine science there. Officials will lie, cheat, steal and bribe to stay in power.
This type has been in power in Chicago for 100-plus years. You simply can't beat that rigged game. As Bertrand Russell said, "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's co-operation." Patronage, favoritism and bribery will beat patriotism and love of country every time. We're in Chicago's America now, and it isn't going to be pretty.
Salt Lake City
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Fred Adams' Shakespeare...
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies and...
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans sacrifice...
- Derek B. Miller: It's my party and I'll decry...
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS
- Letter: Guns in America 51
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 49
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 47
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Letter: Acting presidential 31
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Presidential politics... 28
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22