Authorities worried about overcrowding and possible stampedes during celebrations Friday at Mayan ruin sites like Chichen Itza and Uxmal, both about 1 1/2 hours from Merida, the Yucatan state capital. Special police and guard details were assigned to the pyramids.
As Friday's dawn began sweeping around the globe, there was no sign of an apocalypse.
Indeed, the social network Imgur posted photos of clocks turning midnight in the Asia-Pacific region with messages such as: "The world has not ended. Sincerely, New Zealand."
Average residents of the Yucatan, where the Mayas invented the 394-year calendar cycles known as baktuns, the 13th of which ends Friday, were pretty upbeat about the day.
Yucatan Gov. Rolando Zapata said he felt growing good vibes.
"We believe that the beginning of a new baktun means the beginning of a new era, and we're receiving it with great optimism," Zapata said.
Even before the baktun's end, hundreds of spiritualists from Asian, North American, South American and European shamanistic traditions mingled amiably with the Mexican hosts at a convention center in Merida on Thursday.
Dozens of booths offered people the chance to have their auras photographed with "Chi" light, get a shamanic cleansing or buy sandals, herbs and whole-grain baked goods.
"This is the beginning of a change in priorities and perceptions. We are all one," said Esther Romo, a Mexico City businesswoman who works in art promotion and galleries. "No limits, no boundaries, no nationalities, just fusion."
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal, Obama's...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Navy dolphins discover rare 19th-century torpedo
- 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' does $70.6M but...
- White House insists Obama was not involved in...
- Tea party looks to take advantage of moment
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 63
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- White House insists Obama was not... 18
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 12
- President Obama walking a familiar path... 11
- Tea party looks to take advantage of... 10