BYU basketball: Cougars excited for rematch with Jackson, Bears
PROVO — The BYU men's basketball team faces a tough road test against Baylor tonight in Waco in a game that will be televised nationally on ESPN2. The Bears have made deep runs in the NCAA tournament in two of the last three years and should give the visiting Cougars all they can handle.
"(Baylor) is a really talented team that we played close (at home) last year (before) they stung us at the end," said BYU coach Dave Rose. "Our guys are competitors and I know they want to go (on the road) and play again."
The Cougars came up just short against the Bears last season, losing 86-83 after a furious comeback bid in the final minutes. Baylor went on to advance to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament before being bounced by eventual champion Kentucky.
Baylor is led by 5-foot-10 point guard Pierre Jackson who secured last year's win over BYU by blocking Brandon Davies' 3-point attempt at the buzzer.
"Pierre Jackson is still running the point and he's extremely quick," Rose said. "He has a lot of freedom and he has all kinds of offensive game as far as his ability to make shots and create for his teammates."
Jackson averages a team-high 19.3 points and 6.0 assists per game. He'll be feeding the basketball down low to a potent frontcourt that features 7-foot-1 center Isaiah Austin and 6-foot-9 forward Cory Jefferson, who average 13.9 and 13.2 points, respectively.
BYU enters the game playing its best basketball of the year after winning big against Weber State on the road and blowing out Eastern New Mexico at home. BYU received good bench play in both contests as players vie for consistent roles in the rotation leading up to conference play.
Through 11 games this year Rose has used multiple starting lineups and rotations, but wants to settle on an eight- to nine-man rotation by the time conference play rolls around.
"The players will determine (the rotation) by how they play," Rose said. "We've got three or four really good, tough teams to play before we get into (WCC play). Hopefully by that league season we have a pretty good idea about how we're going to go."
BYU (8-3) at Baylor (7-3)
Tonight, 7 p.m.
Ferrell Center, Waco, Texas
TV: ESPN2 Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26