4 Cyprus High students suspended after police say they brought knives to school
MAGNA — Four high school students are facing suspensions and possible further discipline from the Granite School District after they were found carrying knives and brass knuckles on campus.
On Wednesday, administrators at Cyprus High School, 8623 W. 3000 South, spotted four male students skipping class in a stairwell of the school. When school officials searched the truant boys, they found three of them had pocketknives and one had brass knuckles, said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley. One of the boys, for an unknown reason, was wearing a ski mask.
The four boys had not threatened or harmed anyone, and their motive Thursday was unclear. Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said all of the boys had known gang affiliations.
Under the district's Safe Schools policy, the boys were arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon on school property and will be referred for suspensions and alternative schooling placement, Horsley said.
Parents of Cyprus students were notified Wednesday night of the incident.
The suspensions mark the latest incident of weapons in a Granite District school building this week. On Tuesday, an 11-year-old West Kearns Elementary student was arrested and charged with bringing a gun to school and threatening students.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17