BYU Cougars vs. San Diego State Aztecs, Poinsettia Bowl, Thursday, 6 p.m. MST, ESPN
Scroll down to follow all the Poinsettia Bowl action with fans on Twitter.
BYU (7-5) vs. San Diego State (9-3)
Thursday, 6 p.m. MST
Natural grass, San Diego, Calif.
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Clear skies with temperatures in low 60s at kickoff.
For San Diego State ... The Aztecs, who are playing in their third consecutive bowl game for the first time in school history, are looking for their first 10-win season in 35 years.
For BYU ... The Cougars are looking to finish what has been a disappointing season — featuring four losses by a total of 13 points — with a win.
For San Diego State ... The Aztecs are riding a seven-game winning streak. It's SDSU's longest single-season winning streak since 1977.
For BYU ... The Cougars have beaten SDSU five consecutive times. Their last loss to the Aztecs was in 2005 at Qualcomm Stadium.
San Diego State will win if ... it can run the ball, sustain drives and capitalize in the red zone against the Cougars' highly ranked defense.
BYU will win if ... it is balanced offensively, able to move the ball through the air and on the ground, and can avoid turnovers.
Player to watch
James Lark, BYU: The senior quarterback made his first career start in the regular-season finale against New Mexico State, and threw for 384 yards and six touchdowns. Will he get his second start Thursday? If so, can he be successful against SDSU's 3-3-5 defense?
BYU's run defense vs. SDSU'S run attack: The Cougars are No. 2 in the nation in rushing defense while the Aztecs are No. 16 in rushing offense.
San Diego State: Senior running back Walter Kazee suffered a season-ending knee injury in the regular-season finale against Wyoming. Wide receiver Dominique Sandifer (ankle) is expected to play.
BYU: Quarterback Riley Nelson (rib injury) is expected to play. Center Braden Hansen (groin) will not play.
BYU visits Virginia in the 2013 season-opener on Aug. 31.
Date. . .Opponent. . .Time/result
Aug. 30. . .Washington State. . .W, 30-6
Sept. 8. . .Weber State. . .W, 45-13
Sept. 15. . .at Utah. . .L, 24-21
Sept. 20. . .at Boise State. . .L, 7-6
Sept. 28. . .Hawaii. . .W, 47-0
Oct. 5. . .Utah State. . .W, 6-3
Oct. 13. . .Oregon State. . .L, 42-24
Oct. 20. . .at Notre Dame. . .L, 17-14
Oct. 27. . .at Georgia Tech. . .W, 41-17
Nov. 10. . .Idaho. . .W, 52-13
Nov. 17. . .at San Jose State. . .L, 20-14
Nov. 24. . .at New Mexico St.. . .W, 50-14
Live Twitter commentary
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25