What would have happened had the Declaration of Independence ended with signatures such as "TekyGuy45" or "TempleTroll" or "ObamaHater12"? Would the King of England have seriously considered the position of the colonists? Or would he have quickly moved to the next letter in the mail?
In our country, where freedom of speech is revered, bloggers wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and work long into the night jockeying to make their voices heard. Who are these people? What faces are behind their names? If they have no face, do they have a voice? If I am not mistaken, not having a face means that a person cannot generate a voice.
Let's see who the bloggers really are. They should reveal themselves, show their faces, sign their names.
Daring to attach a name and face to what is said will boost civility in dialogue, engender careful thought and build men rather than tear them down.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: Critics of porn resolution...
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- In our opinion: National security and... 78
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 37
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23
- My view: Where is our Medicaid expansion? 20