Boehner to Obama: Support plan or be responsible for 'largest tax increase in American history'
WASHINGTON — House Speaker John Boehner says President Barack Obama should support a Republican plan to avoid January tax increases on everyone but those earning over $1 million. Boehner says if Obama doesn't support the measure, the president will be responsible for what he calls "the largest tax increase in American history."
Boehner spoke to reporters Wednesday at the Capitol after Obama said he believed a deal with the speaker was close to avoid the "fiscal cliff" — huge tax boosts and spending cuts taking effect in January unless lawmakers head them off.
Obama and Boehner have yet to produce a compromise. Boehner plans a House vote Thursday on his Plan B — which would head off most of the tax increases. The White House says Obama would veto that measure.
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- After 1st Ebola case in NYC, 3 others...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 3 in critical condition after school shooting...
- Guantanamo prisoners in protest over women...
- White House fence jumper charged with assault
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- California orders churches, others to... 25
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 23
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 19
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 11
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8