Boehner to Obama: Support plan or be responsible for 'largest tax increase in American history'
WASHINGTON — House Speaker John Boehner says President Barack Obama should support a Republican plan to avoid January tax increases on everyone but those earning over $1 million. Boehner says if Obama doesn't support the measure, the president will be responsible for what he calls "the largest tax increase in American history."
Boehner spoke to reporters Wednesday at the Capitol after Obama said he believed a deal with the speaker was close to avoid the "fiscal cliff" — huge tax boosts and spending cuts taking effect in January unless lawmakers head them off.
Obama and Boehner have yet to produce a compromise. Boehner plans a House vote Thursday on his Plan B — which would head off most of the tax increases. The White House says Obama would veto that measure.
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 8