KARACHI, Pakistan — Gunmen shot dead five women working on U.N.-backed polio vaccination efforts in two different Pakistani cities on Tuesday, officials said, a major setback for a campaign that international health officials consider vital to contain the crippling disease but which Taliban insurgents say is a cover for espionage.
Pakistan is one of only three countries where polio is endemic. Militants however accuse health workers of acting as spies for the U.S. and claim the vaccine makes children sterile. Taliban commanders in the troubled northwest tribal region have also said vaccinations can't go forward until the U.S. stops drone strikes in the country.
Insurgent opposition to the campaign grew last year after it was revealed that a Pakistani doctor ran a fake vaccination program to help the CIA track down al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden, who was hiding in the town of Abbottabad in the country's northwest.
The Taliban have targeted previous anti-polio campaigns, but this has been a particularly deadly week. The government is in the middle of a three-day vaccination drive targeting high risk areas of the country as part of an effort to immunize millions of children under the age of five.
"Such attacks deprive Pakistan's most vulnerable populations — especially children — of basic life-saving health interventions," said a statement jointly released by the government and the U.N. "We call on the leaders of the affected communities and everyone concerned to do their utmost to protect health workers and create a secure environment so that we can meet the health needs of the children of Pakistan."
The women who were killed Tuesday — three of whom were teenagers — were all shot in the head at close range. Four of them were gunned down in the southern port city of Karachi, and the fifth in a village outside the northwest city of Peshawar. Two men who were working alongside the women were also critically wounded in Karachi.
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 20
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 12
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 12