The best thing that ever happened to my son was being diagnosed with heart failure. Why do I say that? Because of his illness, he was approved for Medicaid and eventually 100 percent disability, which led to him getting help with his mental disorders. He is not violent, but he was a problem to himself and his family. His future was dim.
The answer to these senseless shootings is an overhaul on our mental health system. I tried for years to get my son help, and it took heart failure to get him that help. Banning guns is a band-aid. Let's address the problem.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 67
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 37
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35