The best thing that ever happened to my son was being diagnosed with heart failure. Why do I say that? Because of his illness, he was approved for Medicaid and eventually 100 percent disability, which led to him getting help with his mental disorders. He is not violent, but he was a problem to himself and his family. His future was dim.
The answer to these senseless shootings is an overhaul on our mental health system. I tried for years to get my son help, and it took heart failure to get him that help. Banning guns is a band-aid. Let's address the problem.
Salt Lake City
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- David Blankenhorn: Berlin boasts a wise use...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 61
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 41
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30