The best thing that ever happened to my son was being diagnosed with heart failure. Why do I say that? Because of his illness, he was approved for Medicaid and eventually 100 percent disability, which led to him getting help with his mental disorders. He is not violent, but he was a problem to himself and his family. His future was dim.
The answer to these senseless shootings is an overhaul on our mental health system. I tried for years to get my son help, and it took heart failure to get him that help. Banning guns is a band-aid. Let's address the problem.
Salt Lake City
- Lois M. Collins: Some think women are...
- Classical liberalism offers sole durable...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Who was the most narcissistic president?
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive...
- In our opinion: Are we too pessimistic about...
- My view: 'Single issue' voters should...
- Michael Gerson: Tall order for GOP in ’16
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 48
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 42
- Lois M. Collins: Some think women are... 34
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local... 31
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 28
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 27
- Classical liberalism offers sole... 27