Much is being said about our federal government being too big and that we should cut programs and benefits to get our national budget back in balance.
Could it be that we have too much government instead? We have the federal, state, county, city, water boards, school boards, etc. All these governments are tax supported.
Why do we in Salt Lake County need four school boards? If our federal defense budget is cut and there is talk of Hill Air Force Base being shut down (which I hope it will not), our Washington delegation will surely fight it. Why? Because it will be disastrous for the Utah economy.
So where can we cut spending? There is no easy solution for that. All I know is it is not cheap to live in the United States with all the forms of government we have to support. I am not aware of any country where its citizens will have to pay federal income tax as well as state income tax. We really pay our price.
Albertus Van Dyk
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Letter: Degrading literature
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 112
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 74
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 62
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 51
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 48
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- The complicated political views of... 33