Much is being said about our federal government being too big and that we should cut programs and benefits to get our national budget back in balance.
Could it be that we have too much government instead? We have the federal, state, county, city, water boards, school boards, etc. All these governments are tax supported.
Why do we in Salt Lake County need four school boards? If our federal defense budget is cut and there is talk of Hill Air Force Base being shut down (which I hope it will not), our Washington delegation will surely fight it. Why? Because it will be disastrous for the Utah economy.
So where can we cut spending? There is no easy solution for that. All I know is it is not cheap to live in the United States with all the forms of government we have to support. I am not aware of any country where its citizens will have to pay federal income tax as well as state income tax. We really pay our price.
Albertus Van Dyk
- Jay Evensen: Utah's election is clear as mud
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- A. Scott Anderson: Sen. Bennett: Selfless...
- Michael Gerson: Conservatives' deal with the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Collective neurosis in...
- In our opinion: Not all economic inequality...
- My view: A de-sexed society is a de-humanized...
- Letter: Luxury homes in mountains
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 73
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 48
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 45
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 20
- My view: Character still matters in... 16
- Letter: Luxury homes in mountains 11
- My view: The one thing that could solve... 11