Much is being said about our federal government being too big and that we should cut programs and benefits to get our national budget back in balance.
Could it be that we have too much government instead? We have the federal, state, county, city, water boards, school boards, etc. All these governments are tax supported.
Why do we in Salt Lake County need four school boards? If our federal defense budget is cut and there is talk of Hill Air Force Base being shut down (which I hope it will not), our Washington delegation will surely fight it. Why? Because it will be disastrous for the Utah economy.
So where can we cut spending? There is no easy solution for that. All I know is it is not cheap to live in the United States with all the forms of government we have to support. I am not aware of any country where its citizens will have to pay federal income tax as well as state income tax. We really pay our price.
Albertus Van Dyk
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 65
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 39
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23