A recent article which discussed a possible compromise from President Barack Obama to House Speaker John Boehner is quite upsetting ("New offer moves toward Boehner," Dec. 18). I quote in part: "President Barack Obama has agreed to curtail future cost-of-living increases for recipients of Social Security and softened his demand for higher taxes at upper income levels".
Is this what is wanted: to hurt those who most need assistance in the dire economy? If I were making the kind of money discussed in this article, or even $100,000 a year, I would be living extremely well. But, I am not. I am living on retirement income. And the small amount I received as an increase in my Social Security income beginning in 2013 would buy one good meal at a restaurant.
I think it is time that all the millionaires in Congress start thinking of those at the lower end of the income scale — those just getting by on what they have. An increase in tax to those making over $100,000 a year should be given serious consideration rather than decreasing cost of living for those who can least afford it.
West Valley City
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Jay Evensen: Unfortunately, Canada may never...
- Michael Gerson: The new impression of Ebola...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 73
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 34
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27