BRADLEY KITCHEN, Springville, basketball: Springville's boys basketball team is off to a surprising 6-0 start this year, and the play of this senior guard is a big reason why.
Kitchen has scored in double figures in all six Springville victories this season, and leads the team in scoring at 16.3 ppg.
He was instrumental in a pair of Springville victories last week. He had 12 points and seven rebounds in a 51-44 win over Payson on Tuesday, and on Thursday he followed it up with 15 points and seven rebounds in a 68-43 win against Westlake.
The 6-foot-2 guard has led Springville to a No. 11 ranking in the latest Deseret News top 20 rankings, and he's averaging 5.7 ppg, 2.5 apg and 2.3 steals per game.
KAILIE QUINN, Judge Memorial, girls basketball: Kailie Quinn boasts a long list of skills that make her valuable on the basketball court.
But her greatest strength might be hard to quantify on a stat sheet.
"You might think of her jumper as her biggest weapon," said Judge head coach Anthony Alford. "I think her biggest weapon is her mind."
The junior leads the state in scoring with an average of 23 points per game, and her effort has helped the Bulldogs to a 7-2 start. Alford said her passion for the game and for improving as a player makes coaching her a pleasure.
"The kid literally lives basketball," he said. "The kind of drive and the determination she has … she's a joy to be around. She wants to be pushed. She wants to get better. She analyzes herself and recognizes what she needs to do."
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give Juan...
- High school baseball: Titans ride timely...
- High school soccer: No shortage of parity as...
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins game...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give... 0
- High school baseball: Titans ride... 0
- High school soccer: No shortage of... 0
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins... 0