I wish to add my voice vehemently to those that believe it is time to ban military-style assault weapons. "Assault weapons were developed for the U.S. military, not commercial gun manufactures", said Joe Lieberman.
The school shooting in Connecticut is the tipping point that demands rapid action by our lawmakers. I am asking for the banning of assault weapons, not individual hand guns that are used for self defense. Nothing can justify the delay.
The conversation as to curtailing our liberties or changing our culture of violence in the process must also begin, but the emergency, obviously, is about the elimination of weapons that in society are only used for mass casualties.
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 56
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 30
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 28
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Letter: Idle elimination 19
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 19