I wish to add my voice vehemently to those that believe it is time to ban military-style assault weapons. "Assault weapons were developed for the U.S. military, not commercial gun manufactures", said Joe Lieberman.
The school shooting in Connecticut is the tipping point that demands rapid action by our lawmakers. I am asking for the banning of assault weapons, not individual hand guns that are used for self defense. Nothing can justify the delay.
The conversation as to curtailing our liberties or changing our culture of violence in the process must also begin, but the emergency, obviously, is about the elimination of weapons that in society are only used for mass casualties.
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of Catholic...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- My view: Have we crippled our kids with a...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicos...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Whatever happened to the...
- Letter: Good Samaritan
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a... 69
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence... 39
- George F. Will: The low depths of... 27
- Letter: Good Samaritan 22
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of... 20
- Letter: Inversion concerns 19
- My view: Keystone Pipeline not in... 17
- A. Scott Anderson: Inversions will... 16