I wish to add my voice vehemently to those that believe it is time to ban military-style assault weapons. "Assault weapons were developed for the U.S. military, not commercial gun manufactures", said Joe Lieberman.
The school shooting in Connecticut is the tipping point that demands rapid action by our lawmakers. I am asking for the banning of assault weapons, not individual hand guns that are used for self defense. Nothing can justify the delay.
The conversation as to curtailing our liberties or changing our culture of violence in the process must also begin, but the emergency, obviously, is about the elimination of weapons that in society are only used for mass casualties.
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- My view: The 'resource curse' and rush for...
- In our opinion: Unfinished legislative...
- Will November be a referendum on Obamacare?
- My view: The sage grouse is worth protecting
- Former Democratic congressman: 'It is...
- Letter: Democracy is ...
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Letter: End daylight saving time 46
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Letter: Invite the divine 33
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 31
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30