I was appalled as I read the article "Fourth-graders who flunked goal had faces marked," (Nov. 17). According to the story, students could "choose" their own punishment — either stay in at recess or have their faces marked.
Six children had their faces marked by students who had met the goals. They had to wear the marks all day and were ridiculed by other students. The teacher insisted they had to wash the marks off before they went home. She held these children up to ridicule and yet didn't want parents to see it.
I hope these children can recover from this atrocious behavior and not think this is the new normal.
I would like to know who taught this teacher that this was an acceptable teaching practice? I hope this teacher can find other employment outside the education system. I hope parents will keep tabs on what is going on in our schools and not let this become the new normal.
Our children are too precious to be treated this way.
I applaud the many good teachers who teach because they love kids. The children are the future and deserve much better.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 93
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 42
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 37