WASHINGTON — The office of Sen. Daniel Inouye says the Medal of Honor recipient and 50-year veteran of the Senate has died of respiratory complications at a Washington-area hospital.
The 88-year-old Inouye was the longest serving senator and was president pro tempore of the Senate, third in the line presidential succession. He died Monday.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced Inouye's death on the Senate floor.
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin has aneurysm
- Think your marital status is important? The...
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8