WASHINGTON — The office of Sen. Daniel Inouye says the Medal of Honor recipient and 50-year veteran of the Senate has died of respiratory complications at a Washington-area hospital.
The 88-year-old Inouye was the longest serving senator and was president pro tempore of the Senate, third in the line presidential succession. He died Monday.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced Inouye's death on the Senate floor.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 9