MAGNA — A hostage situation ended peacefully just before 10 p.m. Tuesday after police said a man barricaded himself in a home with his girlfriend.
Toby L. Ward, 40, was interviewed and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of the incident, including alleged kidnapping.
A SWAT team was called to a home near 3200 South 7700 West to attempt to contact Ward who was allegedly holding his girlfriend hostage. When communication could not be established, the SWAT team forced entry, taking Ward into custody without incident and finding the woman unharmed.
Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said it had not been confirmed whether there were weapons in the room where the two had been locked up for hours, but it was likely the man was armed. Officers have dealt with Ward in the past, Hoyal said.
Police received word of the situation about 6:30 p.m. The woman who was being held hostage called Ward's mother, who went to the house but was unable to convince her son to come out, Hoyal said.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Utah bus drivers put safety to the test
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 27
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 26
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12