MAGNA — A hostage situation ended peacefully just before 10 p.m. Tuesday after police said a man barricaded himself in a home with his girlfriend.
Toby L. Ward, 40, was interviewed and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of the incident, including alleged kidnapping.
A SWAT team was called to a home near 3200 South 7700 West to attempt to contact Ward who was allegedly holding his girlfriend hostage. When communication could not be established, the SWAT team forced entry, taking Ward into custody without incident and finding the woman unharmed.
Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said it had not been confirmed whether there were weapons in the room where the two had been locked up for hours, but it was likely the man was armed. Officers have dealt with Ward in the past, Hoyal said.
Police received word of the situation about 6:30 p.m. The woman who was being held hostage called Ward's mother, who went to the house but was unable to convince her son to come out, Hoyal said.
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Summer Sounds: Train, The Wallflowers play...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8