MAGNA — A hostage situation ended peacefully just before 10 p.m. Tuesday after police said a man barricaded himself in a home with his girlfriend.
Toby L. Ward, 40, was interviewed and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of the incident, including alleged kidnapping.
A SWAT team was called to a home near 3200 South 7700 West to attempt to contact Ward who was allegedly holding his girlfriend hostage. When communication could not be established, the SWAT team forced entry, taking Ward into custody without incident and finding the woman unharmed.
Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said it had not been confirmed whether there were weapons in the room where the two had been locked up for hours, but it was likely the man was armed. Officers have dealt with Ward in the past, Hoyal said.
Police received word of the situation about 6:30 p.m. The woman who was being held hostage called Ward's mother, who went to the house but was unable to convince her son to come out, Hoyal said.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26