Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in gang-related shooting in Murray
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing another man at a party in Murray has pleaded guilty to amended charges.
Jonas Rodriguez Perez, 28, was originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony; and discharge of a weapon and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, both second-degree felonies, in connection with the death of Alvert John Mike, 21.
Earlier this month, Perez pleaded guilty to a single count of manslaughter, a first-degree felony, in 3rd District Court. He will be sentenced Jan. 7.
According to charging documents, a house party was being held May 19 at 6613 S. 630 West, and a number of Surenos gang members were present. At some point, a group of rival Nortenos gang members arrived, including Mike.
"A short time later, Mike began to throw gang signs and argue with … Jonas Rodriguez Perez, a known Surenos associate, inside the garage," the charges state. "Witnesses stated the argument was gang-related."
Mike left the garage only to return with a log, prompting Perez to pull out a gun and shoot into the garage floor, the charges state. Perez then allegedly began to chase Mike down the street. Witnesses described Mike yelling at Perez and other Surenos gang members before hearing gunshots.
Neighbors who heard the gunshots called 911. Officers arrived soon after and found Mike in the grass with a gunshot wound to the chest.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 61
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 56
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 19
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11