Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in gang-related shooting in Murray
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing another man at a party in Murray has pleaded guilty to amended charges.
Jonas Rodriguez Perez, 28, was originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony; and discharge of a weapon and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, both second-degree felonies, in connection with the death of Alvert John Mike, 21.
Earlier this month, Perez pleaded guilty to a single count of manslaughter, a first-degree felony, in 3rd District Court. He will be sentenced Jan. 7.
According to charging documents, a house party was being held May 19 at 6613 S. 630 West, and a number of Surenos gang members were present. At some point, a group of rival Nortenos gang members arrived, including Mike.
"A short time later, Mike began to throw gang signs and argue with … Jonas Rodriguez Perez, a known Surenos associate, inside the garage," the charges state. "Witnesses stated the argument was gang-related."
Mike left the garage only to return with a log, prompting Perez to pull out a gun and shoot into the garage floor, the charges state. Perez then allegedly began to chase Mike down the street. Witnesses described Mike yelling at Perez and other Surenos gang members before hearing gunshots.
Neighbors who heard the gunshots called 911. Officers arrived soon after and found Mike in the grass with a gunshot wound to the chest.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7