Utah State football: Kerwynn Williams' big strikes capped USU's season
Again, the Rockets failed to capitalize - settling for a field goal that made it 13-9 with 7:28 left in the game.
"We've been good (in the red zone) all year long on defense," Andersen said. "They bowed up once again and made a bunch of plays when they had to. . It was a big part of this game." Meanwhile, Williams was on the sideline getting support from his teammates.
"They all came up and said they've got my back," he said.
Williams found redemption anyway.
Two plays after the field goal, he broke a tackle near the line of scrimmage, burst into the open field and outran the defense on his 63-yard touchdown run.
After a quick three-and-out, he struck again.
And after an interception, he struck a third time.
"They got into some formations in the fourth quarter we hadn't seen in the first three," Campbell said.
After the fumble, Williams carried six times for 182 yards and three touchdowns.
Before that, he had 12 carries for 53 yards.
"You give this kid a crease," Andersen said, "and he's going to go all the way."
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 91
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 61
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 56
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24