Utah State football: Kerwynn Williams' big strikes capped USU's season
Again, the Rockets failed to capitalize - settling for a field goal that made it 13-9 with 7:28 left in the game.
"We've been good (in the red zone) all year long on defense," Andersen said. "They bowed up once again and made a bunch of plays when they had to. . It was a big part of this game." Meanwhile, Williams was on the sideline getting support from his teammates.
"They all came up and said they've got my back," he said.
Williams found redemption anyway.
Two plays after the field goal, he broke a tackle near the line of scrimmage, burst into the open field and outran the defense on his 63-yard touchdown run.
After a quick three-and-out, he struck again.
And after an interception, he struck a third time.
"They got into some formations in the fourth quarter we hadn't seen in the first three," Campbell said.
After the fumble, Williams carried six times for 182 yards and three touchdowns.
Before that, he had 12 carries for 53 yards.
"You give this kid a crease," Andersen said, "and he's going to go all the way."
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school track: Ogden's Sarah Feeny breaks...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Orem football player remains in...
- High school track: Park City's Ben Saarel...
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story priceless,...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 58
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 57
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 55
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 52
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41