Utah State football: Kerwynn Williams' big strikes capped USU's season
Again, the Rockets failed to capitalize - settling for a field goal that made it 13-9 with 7:28 left in the game.
"We've been good (in the red zone) all year long on defense," Andersen said. "They bowed up once again and made a bunch of plays when they had to. . It was a big part of this game." Meanwhile, Williams was on the sideline getting support from his teammates.
"They all came up and said they've got my back," he said.
Williams found redemption anyway.
Two plays after the field goal, he broke a tackle near the line of scrimmage, burst into the open field and outran the defense on his 63-yard touchdown run.
After a quick three-and-out, he struck again.
And after an interception, he struck a third time.
"They got into some formations in the fourth quarter we hadn't seen in the first three," Campbell said.
After the fumble, Williams carried six times for 182 yards and three touchdowns.
Before that, he had 12 carries for 53 yards.
"You give this kid a crease," Andersen said, "and he's going to go all the way."
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Alan...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- U. student government passes resolution... 57
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 40
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19