I think one can argue that there is not much difference between what a lobbyist does and an outright bribe. Law enforcement officers are told not to accept free meals, tickets to entertainment events, etc., as it has the appearance of impropriety.
Sen. Orrin Hatch has received big bucks from drug companies in his seven campaign races. Does he always favor drug companies in his votes? Yes!
Many of our former Utah legislators become lobbyists. They do so because they know the effect lobbyists had on them and they feel they have the inside track because of their past association and friendships with current legislators.
Let's watch out and hope the fall of the Roman Empire taught us a lesson.
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Letter: Greater security
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil drilling
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith may be...
- Letter: Our French Revolution
- Letter: Kill off expansion
- Jay Evensen: Here's why we should fear...