I think one can argue that there is not much difference between what a lobbyist does and an outright bribe. Law enforcement officers are told not to accept free meals, tickets to entertainment events, etc., as it has the appearance of impropriety.
Sen. Orrin Hatch has received big bucks from drug companies in his seven campaign races. Does he always favor drug companies in his votes? Yes!
Many of our former Utah legislators become lobbyists. They do so because they know the effect lobbyists had on them and they feel they have the inside track because of their past association and friendships with current legislators.
Let's watch out and hope the fall of the Roman Empire taught us a lesson.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Letter: More Lehi gridlock?
- Letter: Draper real estate
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 78
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 65
- Letter: Human body 41
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 34
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 32
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 26
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 18