Lone Peak Basketball: Five questions with head coach Quincy Lewis
Q: You've coached some great teams over the years, SO how does this year's team compare to the best team's you've coached?
A: We'll see when it's all said and done how good this team is. We're not done yet and we still have a lot to prove. I think this team definitely has the potential to be the best team I've coached, but we're not there yet and we still have work to do.
Q: What is the strength of this year's team?
A: We have a lot of kids who have played with each other since they were young. They know each other and they trust each other and that's a huge benefit for us. I think we have a very good defensive team and that's always been a focus for us, but it's the trust these players have for one another and being familiar with how each of them play that is the biggest strength, I feel.
Q: You're slated to play at least nine out-of-state games this year. What is the benefit of a national schedule and what do you hope to accomplish?
A: We feel it's important to represent the state of Utah well and that's something we're very conscious of with playing all these games. We have great basketball in the state and hopefully we can help represent the state well. We also want to test ourselves against the best because that's how you become your best.
Q: How tough is the travel for coaches and for the players?
A: It's tough, no question, but most of these kids are used to it. They've been playing out-of-state schedules in AAU basketball for a long time, so that helps a lot. It's a lot of work, but we wouldn't have scheduled all these games if the kids weren't up to it.
Q: What are the team's goals this year?
A: Our number one goal is to win the state championship. That's always your top goal and it will be tough to get another one against some great teams in the state. We also simply want to reach our potential as a team. We want to be as good as we can be and make sure we're playing our best basketball at the end and that we're improving week by week.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 88
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31