Ravell Call, Deseret News
Something needs to be done with the public transportation system in Salt Lake County.
More than four years ago, UTA discontinued the bus route I was taking to work. I therefore moved in order to continue to utilize UTA services. I moved within 20 minutes driving distance from my work. The bus commute time there was 30 minutes.
A few years later, that bus route was discontinued and replaced with a route that increased my commute time to one hour. Recently, it was changed again. Now my commute time is one hour and 20 minutes.
Each time that the route has changed, fewer people ride the bus. Also the fare has increased over time. I believe UTA's philosophy is to do away with the bus system and have everyone drive to rail-system parking lots. UTA's goal should be to make it so commuters shouldn't have to drive their vehicles at all to commute to and from work.
I have been a UTA commuter for 12 years and have seen the public transportation system service deteriorate instead of getting better. The public is not getting its tax money's worth out of the current system.
West Valley City
- In our opinion: Un-merry 'PC' Christmas... 52
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 30
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 28
- Letter: Sharing culpability 21
- Letter: Distance from religion 19
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Prisons bring much positive change 13