WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-4 Friday night at Maverik Center before 4,801 fans.
Utah took a 1-0 lead 20 seconds into the hockey game after Colin Vock took a trip 12 seconds into the contest. Riley Armstrong blasted home his first of two goals on the night with Mitch Wahl and Nick Tuzzolino picking up assists.
The Aces roared back with five straight goals with two in the first period and three in the second to take a 5-1 lead just past the halfway point of the game.
Utah started a three-goal rally with a Bryan Cameron power-play goal 16:17 into the second as he hammered home an Armstrong blast. Mitch Wahl picked up his eighth multiple-point game of the season with an assist on the play as well.
The Grizzlies made it 5-3 39 seconds into the third period on Armstrong's 10th of the year. Utah got within a goal with 6:23 left in regulation to make it 5-4 as Chris Donovan centered Gaelan Patterson for his first goal of the year.
The Grizzlies return home Saturday to host Alaska at 7:05 p.m. As part of the Grizzlies' toy drive, fans can save up to $5 when they bring a toy to the Maverik Center box office.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19