WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-4 Friday night at Maverik Center before 4,801 fans.
Utah took a 1-0 lead 20 seconds into the hockey game after Colin Vock took a trip 12 seconds into the contest. Riley Armstrong blasted home his first of two goals on the night with Mitch Wahl and Nick Tuzzolino picking up assists.
The Aces roared back with five straight goals with two in the first period and three in the second to take a 5-1 lead just past the halfway point of the game.
Utah started a three-goal rally with a Bryan Cameron power-play goal 16:17 into the second as he hammered home an Armstrong blast. Mitch Wahl picked up his eighth multiple-point game of the season with an assist on the play as well.
The Grizzlies made it 5-3 39 seconds into the third period on Armstrong's 10th of the year. Utah got within a goal with 6:23 left in regulation to make it 5-4 as Chris Donovan centered Gaelan Patterson for his first goal of the year.
The Grizzlies return home Saturday to host Alaska at 7:05 p.m. As part of the Grizzlies' toy drive, fans can save up to $5 when they bring a toy to the Maverik Center box office.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36