WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-4 Friday night at Maverik Center before 4,801 fans.
Utah took a 1-0 lead 20 seconds into the hockey game after Colin Vock took a trip 12 seconds into the contest. Riley Armstrong blasted home his first of two goals on the night with Mitch Wahl and Nick Tuzzolino picking up assists.
The Aces roared back with five straight goals with two in the first period and three in the second to take a 5-1 lead just past the halfway point of the game.
Utah started a three-goal rally with a Bryan Cameron power-play goal 16:17 into the second as he hammered home an Armstrong blast. Mitch Wahl picked up his eighth multiple-point game of the season with an assist on the play as well.
The Grizzlies made it 5-3 39 seconds into the third period on Armstrong's 10th of the year. Utah got within a goal with 6:23 left in regulation to make it 5-4 as Chris Donovan centered Gaelan Patterson for his first goal of the year.
The Grizzlies return home Saturday to host Alaska at 7:05 p.m. As part of the Grizzlies' toy drive, fans can save up to $5 when they bring a toy to the Maverik Center box office.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 68
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28