WEST VALLEY CITY — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-4 Friday night at Maverik Center before 4,801 fans.
Utah took a 1-0 lead 20 seconds into the hockey game after Colin Vock took a trip 12 seconds into the contest. Riley Armstrong blasted home his first of two goals on the night with Mitch Wahl and Nick Tuzzolino picking up assists.
The Aces roared back with five straight goals with two in the first period and three in the second to take a 5-1 lead just past the halfway point of the game.
Utah started a three-goal rally with a Bryan Cameron power-play goal 16:17 into the second as he hammered home an Armstrong blast. Mitch Wahl picked up his eighth multiple-point game of the season with an assist on the play as well.
The Grizzlies made it 5-3 39 seconds into the third period on Armstrong's 10th of the year. Utah got within a goal with 6:23 left in regulation to make it 5-4 as Chris Donovan centered Gaelan Patterson for his first goal of the year.
The Grizzlies return home Saturday to host Alaska at 7:05 p.m. As part of the Grizzlies' toy drive, fans can save up to $5 when they bring a toy to the Maverik Center box office.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48