As the debate concerning taxing the rich continues in Washington, the Deseret News and other media jump at every opportunity to publish quotes from Warren Buffett when he advocates he and others of wealth should pay more or higher rates.
In most every instance, those in the media only provide half of such stories. They prove themselves of equal or greater hypocrisy by not including in such reporting that while Mr. Buffett advocates for higher taxes on the one hand, his company Berkshire Hathaway is and has been for many years battling with the Internal Revenue Service to avoid the federal taxes of more than $1 billion that IRS claims is owed.
Any story on the subject of taxes and Mr. Buffett's position thereon is misleading and dishonest unless both parts are included.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- John Hoffmire: Fighting increasing health...
- The most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 59
- Letter: Doctors unite 39
- Letter: Elected representatives 36
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 33
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 25
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 20
- Letter: No limits 20
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 18