MLS NOTES: RSL selects Jamaican international player; Buddle to Rapids
Real Salt Lake selected defender/midfielder Lovel Palmer in Stage 2 of the Major League Soccer Re-Entry Draft on Friday. RSL now holds the MLS rights to Palmer and has one week to extend a contract offer.
Palmer, 28, played for the Portland Timbers last season, making 19 MLS appearances (including 15 starts). He signed with MLS in 2010, joining the Houston Dynamo from Jamaican club Harbour View. Palmer, who was traded from Houston to Portland in the middle of the 2011 season, has three goals and two assists in 79 career MLS appearances.
Palmer has a decent amount of international experience, earning 24 caps for the Jamaican national team since first joining the senior side in 2005. Palmer, who played on the national team with RSL head scout Andy Williams, does not have a goal for his country.
Palmer first played against RSL on Aug. 24, 2005, scoring a goal in lead Harbour View to a 1-1 draw against the Claret-and-Cobalt in a friendly match at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
GALAXY TRADE EDSON BUDDLE: The Los Angeles Galaxy traded forward Edson Buddle to the Colorado Rapids on Friday for a first-round supplemental draft pick in 2013 and allocation money.
Buddle is a World Cup veteran with 93 career goals in Major League Soccer. He appeared in two matches for the U.S. at the FIFA World Cup in 2010, when he was the runner-up for the MLS Golden Boot
Buddle started his MLS career in 2001 in Columbus, where he played for five seasons. He also played for the New York Red Bulls in 2006, Toronto FC in 2007 and with the Galaxy from 2007-10 and in 2012. In 2011, he played for FC Ingolstadt of the German second division.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 67
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37