MLS NOTES: RSL selects Jamaican international player; Buddle to Rapids
Real Salt Lake selected defender/midfielder Lovel Palmer in Stage 2 of the Major League Soccer Re-Entry Draft on Friday. RSL now holds the MLS rights to Palmer and has one week to extend a contract offer.
Palmer, 28, played for the Portland Timbers last season, making 19 MLS appearances (including 15 starts). He signed with MLS in 2010, joining the Houston Dynamo from Jamaican club Harbour View. Palmer, who was traded from Houston to Portland in the middle of the 2011 season, has three goals and two assists in 79 career MLS appearances.
Palmer has a decent amount of international experience, earning 24 caps for the Jamaican national team since first joining the senior side in 2005. Palmer, who played on the national team with RSL head scout Andy Williams, does not have a goal for his country.
Palmer first played against RSL on Aug. 24, 2005, scoring a goal in lead Harbour View to a 1-1 draw against the Claret-and-Cobalt in a friendly match at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
GALAXY TRADE EDSON BUDDLE: The Los Angeles Galaxy traded forward Edson Buddle to the Colorado Rapids on Friday for a first-round supplemental draft pick in 2013 and allocation money.
Buddle is a World Cup veteran with 93 career goals in Major League Soccer. He appeared in two matches for the U.S. at the FIFA World Cup in 2010, when he was the runner-up for the MLS Golden Boot
Buddle started his MLS career in 2001 in Columbus, where he played for five seasons. He also played for the New York Red Bulls in 2006, Toronto FC in 2007 and with the Galaxy from 2007-10 and in 2012. In 2011, he played for FC Ingolstadt of the German second division.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26