But since the Black Friday weekend, sales have been disappointing, analysts say. Some stores like Macy's, hurt by Superstorm Sandy, have already extended promotions to make up for lost business.
Retailers are facing many of the same issues they faced last year. Budget-conscious shoppers who splurged over the Thanksgiving weekend are now holding out for better deals and waiting for their bank accounts to recover.
Even healthy online sales have a down side, said Michael Brown, a partner in the retail practice of A.T. Kearney. Online buyers tend to be more focused in their buying. Shoppers linger more in stores and buy more on impulse.
"When you visit a store, you shop. When you go online, you buy targeted items," Brown said.
Chicago-based ShopperTrak said Thursday that customer visits and sales for the first week of December were both down compared with the same week in 2011. Visits and sales were both higher from the previous week.
ShopperTrak counts foot traffic and its own proprietary sales numbers from 40,000 retail outlets across the U.S.
And some of the increase in November retail sales was because of a rebound from Superstorm Sandy. Auto sales jumped 1.5 percent, as many people sought to replace damaged vehicles. Sales at home improvement stores increased 1.6 percent.
D'Innocenzio reported from New York. AP Economics Writer Martin Crutsinger contributed to this report.
Follow Chris Rugaber on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/ChrisRugaber.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Unions and tea party activists? Common Core...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 69
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 18
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 18
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 17
- Research: Native American genes have... 14