BIGGER DEFICITS: The U.S. federal government's budget deficit widened to $172 billion in November compared to $120 billion in October and 25 percent higher than the imbalance in the same month last year.
UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES: Last month's deficit was pushed higher by a calendar quirk that pulled about $33 billion in benefits payments into November from December.
THE OUTLOOK: The results suggest the nation is on a path to its fifth straight $1 trillion-plus deficit. The government finished the 2012 budget year with a deficit of $1.1 trillion. President Barack Obama and Congress are under pressure to curb the deficit as part of a budget deal to prevent tax increases and deep spending cuts from kicking in Jan. 1.
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning over...
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know
- Family fun with the top down at unique RV resort
- How to be a billionaire
- Suit: Papa John's fired worker with Down...
- Ground broken for transit-oriented housing...
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800...
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 8
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- USDA: Genetically modified wheat found... 3
- Work is sometimes the best medicine 3
- Something that may have caused the... 3
- How to be a billionaire 3
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought... 3