Prep swimming: Miners among several teams aiming to make a big splash this season
What to expect: Skyline has made a giant impact in 4A, and is sure to pick up where it left off at last year's state meet. The shift of power between Logan, Mountain Crest, Olympus and Springville has met its end. Now the battle for the 4A crown wages at Skyline's doorstep.
Judge Memorial reigns as the leader of the girls with three consecutive overall titles. On the other side, Park City has claimed two of the past three boys team titles to build a lasting dynasty.
Junior Amelia Wolfgramm will lead Judge after claiming individual titles in the 100-yard backstroke, 200-yard medley relay and 100-yard freestyle events.
With a second-place girls finish last year, Desert Hills has made tremendous strides to become a force in 3A swimming. Amelia Draney managed to snag first-place finishes in the 200- and 500-yard freestyle events.
Juan Diego also welcomes back a multiple champion in junior Kelsey Leeson, who led the Soaring Eagle to titles in 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle relay and 400-yard freestyle relay.
Add fellow junior Alaina Finley (second place in the 100-yard backstroke) into the mix, and Juan Diego may have what it takes to mix things up.
Wasatch narrowly fell to Park City on the boys side, but the Wasps' only first-place finish came with Hunter Tolbert, Hunter Hallows, Brady Winward and David Finley in the 200-yard freestyle relay.
What to expect: Park City will have the hardest time defending the boys title with Juan Diego, Judge and Desert Hills nipping at its heels. For the girls, Judge finished an impressive 124 points ahead of second-place Desert Hills. If Juan Diego can catch a break, a new champion could be named.
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Utah basketball: Coach K looks out for...
- Morning links: Calipari's subtle jab at Salt...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 52
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 47
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 40
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40