HAYDEN SCHENCK, Weber, basketball: This dominance of this senior guard is one of the best stories of the high school basketball season thus far.
Schenck tore his ACL in the first round of the 5A playoffs last season against Brighton, but nine months later you'd never know it.
Four games into the season, Schenck has led Weber to a 4-0 record with a 5A-best 32.0 scoring average. He's also averaging 6.0 apg, 4.3 spg and 3.3 rpg.
Last Wednesday, he scored 27 points — which incredibly is his season low — in a 74-55 victory over Box Elder.
Schenck was a Deseret News 5A first team all-stater last year after leading Weber to a 17-4 regular season record by averaging 19.1 ppg and 4.7 apg.
MALIA NAWAHINE, Springville, girls basketball: Malia Nawahine would prefer to lead by example.
On the floor, she's a very quiet person," said Springville head coach Nancy Warner. "This year, I've asked her to step out of her shell and be more vocal. She's more of a quiet player, one of those get-down-to-business players who gives you 100 percent all of the time, every day."
And 100 percent from an athlete like Nawahine has helped the Red Devils to a No. 1 ranking and a 4-0 start. The University of Utah-bound senior is averaging 16.75 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.25 assists and 1.5 steals per game. Her athleticism and versatility are only exceeded by her effort.
"Offensively, she has a great shot," said Warner of the three-sport athlete and honor student. "She can nail a 3-pointer or get an offensive rebound and put it back. She can drive to the basket, get to the free-throw line, she's just an all-around great athlete. And then defensively she can shut down the great players on the opposing teams. She kind of does everything for us."
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU looking to make a big splash at Maui...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21