HAYDEN SCHENCK, Weber, basketball: This dominance of this senior guard is one of the best stories of the high school basketball season thus far.
Schenck tore his ACL in the first round of the 5A playoffs last season against Brighton, but nine months later you'd never know it.
Four games into the season, Schenck has led Weber to a 4-0 record with a 5A-best 32.0 scoring average. He's also averaging 6.0 apg, 4.3 spg and 3.3 rpg.
Last Wednesday, he scored 27 points — which incredibly is his season low — in a 74-55 victory over Box Elder.
Schenck was a Deseret News 5A first team all-stater last year after leading Weber to a 17-4 regular season record by averaging 19.1 ppg and 4.7 apg.
MALIA NAWAHINE, Springville, girls basketball: Malia Nawahine would prefer to lead by example.
On the floor, she's a very quiet person," said Springville head coach Nancy Warner. "This year, I've asked her to step out of her shell and be more vocal. She's more of a quiet player, one of those get-down-to-business players who gives you 100 percent all of the time, every day."
And 100 percent from an athlete like Nawahine has helped the Red Devils to a No. 1 ranking and a 4-0 start. The University of Utah-bound senior is averaging 16.75 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.25 assists and 1.5 steals per game. Her athleticism and versatility are only exceeded by her effort.
"Offensively, she has a great shot," said Warner of the three-sport athlete and honor student. "She can nail a 3-pointer or get an offensive rebound and put it back. She can drive to the basket, get to the free-throw line, she's just an all-around great athlete. And then defensively she can shut down the great players on the opposing teams. She kind of does everything for us."
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 82
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 46
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30