TOOELE VALLEY — Miller Motorsports Park announced that it will host one of the 12 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship tour stops in 2013 on Aug. 17.
The tour, which is sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing, will make its first appearance in Utah in 40 years.
Miller Motorsports Park will construct a permanent motocross facility in the infield of its road racing course for the tour's second-to-last race, the Utah National.
The size of the facility and the use of permanent garages, grandstands and suites at Miller Motorsports Park will be a first for this series, which normally hosts its events on rural motocross tracks rather than at established racing facilities.
"The Utah National is going to be a milestone event," said Davey Coombs, President of MX Sports Pro Racing. "Miller Motorsports Park is an amazing facility, with incredible amenities that our teams and fans will love, in a market where action sports are everywhere. It is a different sort of venue than we are accustomed to visiting, but it is ideal in light of the rapid growth our series is enjoying. We think it's a perfect fit for us, and we can't wait to show the great fans in Utah what the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship is all about."
Tour events feature competition divided into two classes: one for 250cc bikes, and one for 450cc machines. Each event includes two 30-minute-plus-two-lap races per class, with the scores from each race combined to determine the overall winner.
The addition of this event gives the state two major dirt-bike race events, with Salt Lake City's Rice-Eccles Stadium hosting one of AMA Supercross' 17 events on April 27.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24