One nation under debt: what can our $16 trillion in debt pay off?
screen shot from Facethefactsusa.org
The U.S. debt is over $16 trillion and rising. Thats a lot of money, and we have some illustrations of some things $16 trillion could buy.
$16 trillion and rising. Thats the US debt, and its a lot of money to be sure. But most of us find it a little overwhelming to wrap our heads around numbers that high. So today were offering some perspective on some things $16 trillion could buy.
How about paying off every Americans mortgage debt TWICE? Yep.
$16 trillion could also fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan about 12 times over.
And if the debt continues to rise at the current rate, in ten years its expected to reach its highest point relative to our total economic output since World War II.
Check out our infographic for more illustrations of our debt. See What Do Others Say? on its implications. Then add to the discussion below. How worried are you about US debt? And do you have any confidence well pay it down?
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus on...
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance primed...
- Dave Ramsey says: Charging off a debt doesn't...
- 3 reasons you should crowdfund your business
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 46
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 22
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 5
- In our opinion: Family dynamics and the... 4
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus... 2
- Want to see if your relationship will... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2