One nation under debt: what can our $16 trillion in debt pay off?
screen shot from Facethefactsusa.org
The U.S. debt is over $16 trillion and rising. Thats a lot of money, and we have some illustrations of some things $16 trillion could buy.
$16 trillion and rising. Thats the US debt, and its a lot of money to be sure. But most of us find it a little overwhelming to wrap our heads around numbers that high. So today were offering some perspective on some things $16 trillion could buy.
How about paying off every Americans mortgage debt TWICE? Yep.
$16 trillion could also fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan about 12 times over.
And if the debt continues to rise at the current rate, in ten years its expected to reach its highest point relative to our total economic output since World War II.
Check out our infographic for more illustrations of our debt. See What Do Others Say? on its implications. Then add to the discussion below. How worried are you about US debt? And do you have any confidence well pay it down?
- 10 cheapest colleges for out-of-state students
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally?
- These three countries offer insights into the...
- Young widows speak out about managing grief,...
- Is the 40-hour workweek falling out of fashion?
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4 percent
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek...
- Dave Ramsey says: Gaining control of your...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 9
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead... 6
- Study: 23 pct of US adults with health... 3
- McDonald's CEO faces shareholders amid... 3
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 3
- The college degrees with the highest... 2