One nation under debt: what can our $16 trillion in debt pay off?
screen shot from Facethefactsusa.org
The U.S. debt is over $16 trillion and rising. Thats a lot of money, and we have some illustrations of some things $16 trillion could buy.
$16 trillion and rising. Thats the US debt, and its a lot of money to be sure. But most of us find it a little overwhelming to wrap our heads around numbers that high. So today were offering some perspective on some things $16 trillion could buy.
How about paying off every Americans mortgage debt TWICE? Yep.
$16 trillion could also fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan about 12 times over.
And if the debt continues to rise at the current rate, in ten years its expected to reach its highest point relative to our total economic output since World War II.
Check out our infographic for more illustrations of our debt. See What Do Others Say? on its implications. Then add to the discussion below. How worried are you about US debt? And do you have any confidence well pay it down?
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Why some handsome men have trouble finding work
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Dave Ramsey says: Personal finance is all...
- Why it's important to be yourself at work
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Balancing act: When everything comes...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 18
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Why some handsome men have trouble... 3
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 2
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is... 1