WASHINGTON — A Pentagon official says a Navy SEAL was killed during the rescue mission in Afghanistan that freed an American doctor abducted by the Taliban.
Killed in the weekend raid was a member of SEAL Team Six, the same unit that killed Osama bin Laden last year. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not allowed to release the information on the record.
Officials in Afghanistan say Dr. Dilip Joseph of Colorado Springs, Colo., was rescued early Sunday in eastern Afghanistan. The military says the adviser for Colorado Springs-based Morning Star Development was abducted last week and rescued after intelligence showed he was in imminent danger of injury or possible death.
The Pentagon has not identified the SEAL Team Six member who was killed.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Churches proceed carefully when encouraging...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13