WASHINGTON — A Pentagon official says a Navy SEAL was killed during the rescue mission in Afghanistan that freed an American doctor abducted by the Taliban.
Killed in the weekend raid was a member of SEAL Team Six, the same unit that killed Osama bin Laden last year. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not allowed to release the information on the record.
Officials in Afghanistan say Dr. Dilip Joseph of Colorado Springs, Colo., was rescued early Sunday in eastern Afghanistan. The military says the adviser for Colorado Springs-based Morning Star Development was abducted last week and rescued after intelligence showed he was in imminent danger of injury or possible death.
The Pentagon has not identified the SEAL Team Six member who was killed.
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Va. Tech murder suspects left few clues to...
- Lindsey Vonn wins women's World Cup downhill
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10