WASHINGTON — A Pentagon official says a Navy SEAL was killed during the rescue mission in Afghanistan that freed an American doctor abducted by the Taliban.
Killed in the weekend raid was a member of SEAL Team Six, the same unit that killed Osama bin Laden last year. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not allowed to release the information on the record.
Officials in Afghanistan say Dr. Dilip Joseph of Colorado Springs, Colo., was rescued early Sunday in eastern Afghanistan. The military says the adviser for Colorado Springs-based Morning Star Development was abducted last week and rescued after intelligence showed he was in imminent danger of injury or possible death.
The Pentagon has not identified the SEAL Team Six member who was killed.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Administration asks skeptical judge to toss...
- Psychiatrist: Colorado theater shooter 'knew...
- Southern Arizona residents protest Border...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 26
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 11
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 8