WASHINGTON — A Pentagon official says a Navy SEAL was killed during the rescue mission in Afghanistan that freed an American doctor abducted by the Taliban.
Killed in the weekend raid was a member of SEAL Team Six, the same unit that killed Osama bin Laden last year. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not allowed to release the information on the record.
Officials in Afghanistan say Dr. Dilip Joseph of Colorado Springs, Colo., was rescued early Sunday in eastern Afghanistan. The military says the adviser for Colorado Springs-based Morning Star Development was abducted last week and rescued after intelligence showed he was in imminent danger of injury or possible death.
The Pentagon has not identified the SEAL Team Six member who was killed.
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who went...
- Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- How does the world feel about morals and...
- Police: Student ate more pot than recommended...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 29
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 17
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who... 14
- Supreme Court weighs ban on false... 13