OGDEN — Certain things are simply better suited old-fashioned: recipes, cars, music and movies — doing things the old way can be satisfying.
Old-fashioned was the name of the game for Weber State Saturday as the Wildcats boosted the momentum meter off several and-1 three-point plays and eventually pulled away from UC Irvine, 65-51.
"That was a grind and we knew going in that it was going to be a grind," WSU coach Randy Rahe said. "It's kind of how they play (and) that's the way our game was down there with them last year. That was a defensive basketball game, that's really what it came down too. This is a game that we had to fight, scratch and claw — just find a way."
The win extended the 'Cats' home winning streak to 20 games which ranks No. 4 nationally — trailing only Syracuse, Kansas and South Dakota State.
"To be honest, I didn't know that. I knew that we won a few last year. It's gives you comfort knowing that if you do what you're supposed to do you've got a shot," Rahe said about the streak that dates back to March 2, 2010. "We don't even talk about it. It's nice to be good in your own building — it doesn't guarantee you anything. Hopefully that continues, obviously we've got some tough ones coming up."
The Wildcats, although kept within check, never were threatened. In the first half, Weber State led by as many as 15 and maintained a double-figure advantage for the majority of the second half.
"I always feel like the game is (in) doubt," Rahe noted. "I felt like we needed to make another play and we'll be all right, get one more stop. We'd been defending them pretty well, so I was confident if we really needed to get a stop we could come up with one."
Kyle Tresnak led the 'Cats with 16 points and six boards. Frank Otis added 13 points and six rebounds and Scott Bamforth, despite an 0-3 performance from distance, chipped in 11 points.
Once again Weber State struggled at the charity stripe and at one point was 11-of-25. However, it did connect on the final 10 attempts.
Weber State returns to action at home against BYU on Saturday.
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 100
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24