Carlos Osorio, AP
Is anyone else wondering why Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements? I have had deductions from my paychecks for these "entitlements" for over 50 years.
I am now semi-retired, working part time and I still have these deductions. What should have been a savings account turned into a slush fund for government spending. Instead of repaying the funds, Republican congressmen have decided to punish us by taking more away from this program.
It seems to me that the only ones who have to tighten their spending belts are the ones who have no say in what to cut. I wonder why the government gives grants for studies that no one cares about and are not beneficial to anyone; I wonder why the government gives so much foreign aid when people in this country are homeless and hungry. It must be because we, the people, have no say.
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay for...
- Letter: No labels in 2016?
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics reflects...
- In our opinion: Research suggests that...
- Letter: Our public lands
- My view: Your family stories have the power...
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 56
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 49
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 35
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from... 19
- Mantua speed trap 17