Carlos Osorio, AP
Is anyone else wondering why Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements? I have had deductions from my paychecks for these "entitlements" for over 50 years.
I am now semi-retired, working part time and I still have these deductions. What should have been a savings account turned into a slush fund for government spending. Instead of repaying the funds, Republican congressmen have decided to punish us by taking more away from this program.
It seems to me that the only ones who have to tighten their spending belts are the ones who have no say in what to cut. I wonder why the government gives grants for studies that no one cares about and are not beneficial to anyone; I wonder why the government gives so much foreign aid when people in this country are homeless and hungry. It must be because we, the people, have no say.
- Jay Evensen: Open wide and swallow your tax...
- George F. Will: IRS continues to act in...
- In our opinion: SB296 bridges...
- My view: Common Core tests erode parental rights
- Dan Liljenquist: Looking to the Supreme Court...
- Richard Davis: Let the voters decide the...
- Letter: Same stale air
- In our opinion: Revisiting Abraham Lincoln's...
- Bob Bennett: Climate change question... 95
- Mia Love: Big government needs to get... 93
- Letter: Same stale air 48
- My view: Common Core tests erode... 39
- Letter: Mandated freedom 37
- In our opinion: Talking of tax reform... 28
- Letter: Who's against Healthy Utah? 28
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the... 25