Carlos Osorio, AP
Is anyone else wondering why Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements? I have had deductions from my paychecks for these "entitlements" for over 50 years.
I am now semi-retired, working part time and I still have these deductions. What should have been a savings account turned into a slush fund for government spending. Instead of repaying the funds, Republican congressmen have decided to punish us by taking more away from this program.
It seems to me that the only ones who have to tighten their spending belts are the ones who have no say in what to cut. I wonder why the government gives grants for studies that no one cares about and are not beneficial to anyone; I wonder why the government gives so much foreign aid when people in this country are homeless and hungry. It must be because we, the people, have no say.
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude...
- Letter: Growing party divide
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, ride sharing is...
- In our opinion: Smoking aside, Utah can still...
- Lois M. Collins: Daddy-daughter duo turn trip...
- My view: Education is the key to our state's...
- My view: Improvements needed in AG’s...
- In our opinion: Keystone Pipeline... 67
- Letter: Where jobs come from 64
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 50
- Letter: Growing party divide 44
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 35
- Letter: Speed limit increase 26
- Robert Bennett: It looks to be a good... 23