Carlos Osorio, AP
Is anyone else wondering why Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements? I have had deductions from my paychecks for these "entitlements" for over 50 years.
I am now semi-retired, working part time and I still have these deductions. What should have been a savings account turned into a slush fund for government spending. Instead of repaying the funds, Republican congressmen have decided to punish us by taking more away from this program.
It seems to me that the only ones who have to tighten their spending belts are the ones who have no say in what to cut. I wonder why the government gives grants for studies that no one cares about and are not beneficial to anyone; I wonder why the government gives so much foreign aid when people in this country are homeless and hungry. It must be because we, the people, have no say.
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- Letters: Move to the center
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should keep up...
- In our opinion: Utah's caucus system needs...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an assault on...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Letters: No welfare, ever 77
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Letters: Move to the center 33
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 28
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 27
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 22
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21