allison soukhamthath, Allison Soukhamthath
Why all the recent flap about Utah's high school graduation rate ranking 33rd in the nation, — like that was new information? The Deseret News published that information June 1, six months ago. And because there is no national standard for earning a high school diploma, that ranking means absolutely nothing unless it is accompanied by information on the graduation requirements of the different states.
It is not the same as comparing students' performance in reading, math and science — where either you can do it or you can't.
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37