Jae C. Hong, File, Associated Press
On Black Friday, my son and I were out shopping and we met one of his old friends. As we chatted, he told us that he owned a one-man mortgage business. He told us that in January, people who sell investment property will pay a 3.5 percent tax of the profit made to the federal government. Even those who sell a vacation home will also pay the 3.5 percent sales tax.
He told us he was getting out of the business because of the increased regulations and taxes that will be placed on him come January. It is really nice to know that President Barack Obama and Scott Matheson have a plan to increase business and get people working again. I just wish they would mind their own business and not ours.
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 50
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 10
- In our opinion: Legislators need to... 9