Jae C. Hong, File, Associated Press
On Black Friday, my son and I were out shopping and we met one of his old friends. As we chatted, he told us that he owned a one-man mortgage business. He told us that in January, people who sell investment property will pay a 3.5 percent tax of the profit made to the federal government. Even those who sell a vacation home will also pay the 3.5 percent sales tax.
He told us he was getting out of the business because of the increased regulations and taxes that will be placed on him come January. It is really nice to know that President Barack Obama and Scott Matheson have a plan to increase business and get people working again. I just wish they would mind their own business and not ours.
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an impoverished...
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line...
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Letter: Protected lands
- My view: Holistic approach to wild horses...
- Richard Davis: Legislators— Model the...
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult...
- Letter: Utah's birthright
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 60
- Letter: Learn the Constitution 52
- In our opinion: Explaining editorial... 44
- Letter: Utah's birthright 44
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 42
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 39
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 34
- John Florez: Corporate or public... 31