Jae C. Hong, File, Associated Press
On Black Friday, my son and I were out shopping and we met one of his old friends. As we chatted, he told us that he owned a one-man mortgage business. He told us that in January, people who sell investment property will pay a 3.5 percent tax of the profit made to the federal government. Even those who sell a vacation home will also pay the 3.5 percent sales tax.
He told us he was getting out of the business because of the increased regulations and taxes that will be placed on him come January. It is really nice to know that President Barack Obama and Scott Matheson have a plan to increase business and get people working again. I just wish they would mind their own business and not ours.
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of Catholic...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- My view: Have we crippled our kids with a...
- Letter: Good Samaritan
- Robert J. Samuelson: Whatever happened to the...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicos...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a... 69
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence... 49
- George F. Will: The low depths of... 27
- Letter: Good Samaritan 22
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of... 20
- Letter: Inversion concerns 19
- My view: Keystone Pipeline not in... 17
- A. Scott Anderson: Inversions will... 16