Jae C. Hong, File, Associated Press
On Black Friday, my son and I were out shopping and we met one of his old friends. As we chatted, he told us that he owned a one-man mortgage business. He told us that in January, people who sell investment property will pay a 3.5 percent tax of the profit made to the federal government. Even those who sell a vacation home will also pay the 3.5 percent sales tax.
He told us he was getting out of the business because of the increased regulations and taxes that will be placed on him come January. It is really nice to know that President Barack Obama and Scott Matheson have a plan to increase business and get people working again. I just wish they would mind their own business and not ours.
- Jay Evensen: Open wide and swallow your tax...
- In our opinion: SB296 bridges...
- George F. Will: IRS continues to act in...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Net neutrality could...
- Dan Liljenquist: Looking to the Supreme Court...
- Natalie Gochnour: The best of Utah...
- Letter: Political police work
- Letter: Why such controversy?
- Bob Bennett: Climate change question... 97
- Letter: Same stale air 48
- My view: Common Core tests erode... 41
- Letter: Mandated freedom 37
- In our opinion: SB296 bridges... 30
- In our opinion: Talking of tax reform... 28
- Letter: Who's against Healthy Utah? 28
- George F. Will: IRS continues to act in... 27