Jae C. Hong, File, Associated Press
On Black Friday, my son and I were out shopping and we met one of his old friends. As we chatted, he told us that he owned a one-man mortgage business. He told us that in January, people who sell investment property will pay a 3.5 percent tax of the profit made to the federal government. Even those who sell a vacation home will also pay the 3.5 percent sales tax.
He told us he was getting out of the business because of the increased regulations and taxes that will be placed on him come January. It is really nice to know that President Barack Obama and Scott Matheson have a plan to increase business and get people working again. I just wish they would mind their own business and not ours.
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Lois M. Collins: Wandering back into the land...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- Letter: Modest energy progress
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought
- In our opinion: Poll shows Utahns favor...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass 62
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood... 58
- Letter: Erratic protests 34
- In our opinion: After change to state... 26
- Letter: Modest energy progress 26
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- My view: Moving the prison would... 25
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics... 24