SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah women's basketball team takes on in-state rival BYU Saturday at the Huntsman Center in a 3 p.m. start.
The Utes are 7-0 heading into the game against the Cougars, off to their best start since the 2000-01 season when they began with 11 straight wins. Utah is just one of just 16 NCAA teams and three Pac-12 teams — along with Stanford (8-0) and Colorado (7-0) — to still hold a perfect record.
Meanwhile, the Cougars and coach Jeff Judkins hold a record of 4-4. On Tuesday, BYU beat Utah State, 81-77, a team the Utes defeated a week prior by 28 points.
Utah is led by the play of junior forward Taryn Wicijowski, who is the Pac-12 player of the week and is averaging 17.1 points per game. Forward Michelle Plouffe and guard Iwalani Rodrigues add 17.4 and 12.0 points per game, respectively.
The Cougars are led by the play of Utah-natives Haley Hall Steed, a Clearfield High graduate, and Lexi Eaton, a Springville High graduate.
Overall, the Utes lead the series against BYU, 62-36. However, the Cougars have won five of the last six outings, including the matchup last year in Provo. The last time Utah beat BYU was in March 2011 when Plouffe hit a buzzer-beater in the Mountain West Tournament championship game.?
Rivalry on the air
BYU (4-4) at Utah (7-0)
Today, 3 p.m.
Radio: 700 AM
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James named first-team...
- Penguins top Lightning 2-1 to advance to...
- Defending champion Warriors stave off...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- Serial winner Mourinho hired to revive fading...
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 53
- Utah and UVU assigned regionals; BYU... 43
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 42
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 35
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Dick Harmon: With historic hoops... 21
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 20
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to... 19