I read with interest Eric Samuelsen's letter "Taxes aren't evil" on Dec. 4 — "The Republican opposition to the hike must be purely ideological."
May I point out the fact that the government has to borrow 40 cents to every dollar it spends, and that this might be a good reason for not giving the government more money to give away? Aren't our present taxes high enough?
Liberal Democrats see no need for a strong military; I would assert that one reason we are able to live in a free country is because of a strong military. As I recall, we took a beating in Korea because we were not ready to defend our Allies in 1950, and England nearly went down to Hitler because they couldn't defend themselves alone.
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- In our opinion: Critics of porn resolution...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: National security and... 77
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 35
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19