I read with interest Eric Samuelsen's letter "Taxes aren't evil" on Dec. 4 — "The Republican opposition to the hike must be purely ideological."
May I point out the fact that the government has to borrow 40 cents to every dollar it spends, and that this might be a good reason for not giving the government more money to give away? Aren't our present taxes high enough?
Liberal Democrats see no need for a strong military; I would assert that one reason we are able to live in a free country is because of a strong military. As I recall, we took a beating in Korea because we were not ready to defend our Allies in 1950, and England nearly went down to Hitler because they couldn't defend themselves alone.
- Letter: Conservative courage
- Letter: Corrupted by money
- John Florez: Lawmakers and the art of punting...
- A. Scott Anderson: Scientific research,...
- Kenlee Hess: Immigrants improve American economy
- Letter: Mandatory voting
- Jay Evensen: U.S. should put religious...
- In our opinion: Obama muses about mandatory...