I read with interest Eric Samuelsen's letter "Taxes aren't evil" on Dec. 4 — "The Republican opposition to the hike must be purely ideological."
May I point out the fact that the government has to borrow 40 cents to every dollar it spends, and that this might be a good reason for not giving the government more money to give away? Aren't our present taxes high enough?
Liberal Democrats see no need for a strong military; I would assert that one reason we are able to live in a free country is because of a strong military. As I recall, we took a beating in Korea because we were not ready to defend our Allies in 1950, and England nearly went down to Hitler because they couldn't defend themselves alone.
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod
- Letter: Religious freedom
- In our opinion: Maintaining balance
- Doug Robinson: Utah man discovers powerful...
- My view: Adoption legislation: Children...
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- Jay Evensen: Don't mess with a great Utah...
- Dan Liljenquist: Count My Vote: Compromise...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 63
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 37
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Robert Bennett: Keystone: What... 32
- Michael Gerson: The GOP needs to... 22
- Letter: Reclassify ISPs as common carriers 19