I read with interest Eric Samuelsen's letter "Taxes aren't evil" on Dec. 4 — "The Republican opposition to the hike must be purely ideological."
May I point out the fact that the government has to borrow 40 cents to every dollar it spends, and that this might be a good reason for not giving the government more money to give away? Aren't our present taxes high enough?
Liberal Democrats see no need for a strong military; I would assert that one reason we are able to live in a free country is because of a strong military. As I recall, we took a beating in Korea because we were not ready to defend our Allies in 1950, and England nearly went down to Hitler because they couldn't defend themselves alone.
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- My view: They run toward danger
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- In our opinion: Internet sales tax should...
- In our opinion: National security and... 68
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 47
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13