I read with interest Eric Samuelsen's letter "Taxes aren't evil" on Dec. 4 — "The Republican opposition to the hike must be purely ideological."
May I point out the fact that the government has to borrow 40 cents to every dollar it spends, and that this might be a good reason for not giving the government more money to give away? Aren't our present taxes high enough?
Liberal Democrats see no need for a strong military; I would assert that one reason we are able to live in a free country is because of a strong military. As I recall, we took a beating in Korea because we were not ready to defend our Allies in 1950, and England nearly went down to Hitler because they couldn't defend themselves alone.
- Letter: Creating social outcasts 45
- In our opinion: A social take on the... 32
- Letter: Constitutional republic 30
- Letter: Utah's water 25
- Don't wait for politicians 25
- My view: New labor rule may harm Utah's... 24
- Robert J. Samuelson: Why tax reform is... 21
- In our opinion: Troops in Syria makes... 21