Letter: Adults must communicate that discrimination and bigotry are never acceptable
So the predominantly white student body at Alta High School just wishes the KKK mask incident would just go away? Their attitude only exacerbates the problem, which is that they are white and privileged and have grown up surrounded by white and privilege — their view of the world is skewed.
Does this mean children in Sandy are destined to be prejudiced? No. But clearly, the adults in the homes and community need to be better at communicating that discrimination and bigotry is never right, never funny and never acceptable. That the administration and teachers who witnessed the heinous display did nothing to stop it is very telling. The continued arrogance and efforts to make light of the actions both by the perpetrators and the student body who witnessed it is also very telling.
Silence on bigotry conveys loud acceptance.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 31
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 28
- My view: More whites should practice... 23
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 15