Letter: Adults must communicate that discrimination and bigotry are never acceptable
So the predominantly white student body at Alta High School just wishes the KKK mask incident would just go away? Their attitude only exacerbates the problem, which is that they are white and privileged and have grown up surrounded by white and privilege — their view of the world is skewed.
Does this mean children in Sandy are destined to be prejudiced? No. But clearly, the adults in the homes and community need to be better at communicating that discrimination and bigotry is never right, never funny and never acceptable. That the administration and teachers who witnessed the heinous display did nothing to stop it is very telling. The continued arrogance and efforts to make light of the actions both by the perpetrators and the student body who witnessed it is also very telling.
Silence on bigotry conveys loud acceptance.
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- My view: They run toward danger
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Medicare Advantage
- In our opinion: National security and... 66
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 43
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13