Letter: Adults must communicate that discrimination and bigotry are never acceptable
So the predominantly white student body at Alta High School just wishes the KKK mask incident would just go away? Their attitude only exacerbates the problem, which is that they are white and privileged and have grown up surrounded by white and privilege — their view of the world is skewed.
Does this mean children in Sandy are destined to be prejudiced? No. But clearly, the adults in the homes and community need to be better at communicating that discrimination and bigotry is never right, never funny and never acceptable. That the administration and teachers who witnessed the heinous display did nothing to stop it is very telling. The continued arrogance and efforts to make light of the actions both by the perpetrators and the student body who witnessed it is also very telling.
Silence on bigotry conveys loud acceptance.
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Letter: Moral decline
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- In our opinion: Revisiting racial imbalance...
- About Utah: High time for a peaceful revival
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- On Second Thought
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 80
- Letter: Moral decline 75
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 39
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28