Letter: Adults must communicate that discrimination and bigotry are never acceptable
So the predominantly white student body at Alta High School just wishes the KKK mask incident would just go away? Their attitude only exacerbates the problem, which is that they are white and privileged and have grown up surrounded by white and privilege — their view of the world is skewed.
Does this mean children in Sandy are destined to be prejudiced? No. But clearly, the adults in the homes and community need to be better at communicating that discrimination and bigotry is never right, never funny and never acceptable. That the administration and teachers who witnessed the heinous display did nothing to stop it is very telling. The continued arrogance and efforts to make light of the actions both by the perpetrators and the student body who witnessed it is also very telling.
Silence on bigotry conveys loud acceptance.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 109
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 46
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33