ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Utah Grizzlies found a benefit to the NHL lockout on Wednesday, signing the Montreal Canadiens' Colby Armstrong.
Armstrong, who is the brother of the Grizzlies' co-captain Riley Armstrong, has joined the Grizzlies on their current road trip and will begin practicing and conditioning with the team immediately.
"Colby is another experienced veteran leader that we've been interested in," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "You can't explain how valuable a player like this is coming into our room at this level. We are very excited to have him. He'll be another great example and leader to our team of talented prospects."
The 30-year-old is currently under contract with the Canadiens, whom he signed with on July 1 after playing the last two years with the Toronto Maple Leafs. From 2007-2010, he played for the Atlanta Thrashers where he served as an alternate captain during the 2009-2010 season. Armstrong made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh during the 2005-2006 season and had 16 goals and 24 assists for 40 points in 47 games.
Armstrong has been in the NHL since 2005; where he has totaled 87 goals and 117 assists for 204 points in 439 games. He was selected in the first round and 21st overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.
"Having the chance to add Colby Armstrong to our roster is a rare opportunity that is very exciting to our other players, the organization and our fans for however long he is with us," said Grizzlies CEO Kevin Bruder.
MILLS WINS AWARD: Brad Mills of the Utah Grizzlies was named ECHL Player of the Week for Nov. 26-Dec. 2. Mills scored three goals and added three assists for six points, helping the Grizzlies to a 2-0-0 record last week.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 109
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21