Instate college basketball roundup: T-Birds drop decision against Toreros
CEDAR CITY — Damon Heuir scored 17 points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out five assists, but it wasn't enough as Southern Utah lost against San Diego, 67-53, on Tuesday night.
San Diego (4-5) jumped out to a 14-4 lead when Mike Davis hit a lay-up with 12:37 remaining in the half and led 36-22 at halftime. Southern Utah cut the Toreros' lead to three at 39-36 when Jayson Cheesman hit a pair of free throws with 12:06 to go, but that's as close as the Thunderbirds got.
The Toreros held Southern Utah (2-6) to just 35.1 percent from the field and forced 16 turnovers while out-rebounding the Thunderbirds 43-31.
Jackson Stevenett had 13 points and eight rebounds for SUU.
BYU WOMEN: At Provo, Haley Steed recorded her first double-double of the season, scoring a season-high 22 points and tying a season high with 12 assists to lead the Cougars to an 81-77 victory over Utah State on Tuesday night at the Marriott Center.
Her 12 assists moved Steed past Valerie Cravens as the all-time career assists leader at BYU with 623.
UVU WOMEN: At Orem, senior Sammie Jensen helped Utah Valley University snap a six-game losing streak Tuesday with a 68-56 win over Weber State at the UCCU Center. Jensen finished with a game-high 30 points and 15 rebounds.
"This was a great win for us," UVU head coach Cathy Nixon said.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26