Chris Carlson, ASSOCIATED PRESS
As a registered Republican who voted for Mitt Romney, I am rather disturbed by a number of recent letters written by my fellow Romney supporters and printed in the Deseret News. These letters have painted a broad, over-simplistic brush of those who voted for Barack Obama; in a nutshell stating those who did vote for him are nothing more than takers who want the government to give them all kinds of free stuff.
Like nearly all Mitt Romney voters, I, too, am disappointed by President Obama's re-election. But for me to make such ridiculous comments about those who voted for him does nothing but make me look like a sore loser. It also tells every school teacher, firefighter, electrician, restaurant cook, truck driver and military officer who voted for Obama that their contribution to our nation is not appreciated. Is that really the message we want to convey?
If history is any indicator, this nation will elect many Republican presidents in the future, just as it will elect many Democratic presidents in the future. So while the Democrats currently hold the executive branch, my advice to my fellow Republicans is, don't lose faith, pray for our nation's strength and let's become the party that finds common ground rather than the party that pits people against each other based on race, religion and income.
Clark Roger Larsen
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 50
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 10
- In our opinion: Legislators need to... 9