Chris Carlson, ASSOCIATED PRESS
As a registered Republican who voted for Mitt Romney, I am rather disturbed by a number of recent letters written by my fellow Romney supporters and printed in the Deseret News. These letters have painted a broad, over-simplistic brush of those who voted for Barack Obama; in a nutshell stating those who did vote for him are nothing more than takers who want the government to give them all kinds of free stuff.
Like nearly all Mitt Romney voters, I, too, am disappointed by President Obama's re-election. But for me to make such ridiculous comments about those who voted for him does nothing but make me look like a sore loser. It also tells every school teacher, firefighter, electrician, restaurant cook, truck driver and military officer who voted for Obama that their contribution to our nation is not appreciated. Is that really the message we want to convey?
If history is any indicator, this nation will elect many Republican presidents in the future, just as it will elect many Democratic presidents in the future. So while the Democrats currently hold the executive branch, my advice to my fellow Republicans is, don't lose faith, pray for our nation's strength and let's become the party that finds common ground rather than the party that pits people against each other based on race, religion and income.
Clark Roger Larsen
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's foreign...
- 10 children's movies with rumored political...
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- My view: SB54 will politically and culturally...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration...
- Letter: End daylight saving time
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's... 58
- Letter: End daylight saving time 39
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 35
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 34
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 31
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in... 29
- Letter: A 'dying' document 27
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 22